If you drive a new car, there’s a good chance that it is covered by a manufacturer’s warranty. This car warranty typically offers protection from any mechanical problems that could arise early in the life of the car. The average powertrain warranty lasts from 60,000 to 100,000 miles or 4 to 6 years, while the typical bumper-to-bumper warranty will offer protection for 30,000 to 50,000 miles or 3 to 5 years. It’s understandable that, in the aftermath of an accident, drivers are concerned about voiding the car warranty!
What Can Void a Car Warranty?
While the fine print of every car warranty will differ slightly, manufacturers can typically void them whenever a vehicle is damaged due to:
- Vehicle Abuse: This is a broad term that could refer to using a car for racing or forcing it to undergo excessive wear and tear, like off-roading.
- Title Salvage Distinction: When a car or truck is in a serious accident, it will be given a “salvage” distinction by your insurance provider. This means that your car insurer deemed the vehicle a total loss, which obviously would also void the car warranty.
- Natural Disasters: If your car is damaged due to an “act of God,” fire, flood, earthquake, tornado or hurricane, the warranty is no longer valid.
- Improper Fluid Use: If you use the wrong fluid in your vehicle, like diesel fuel in a gasoline engine, you will no longer be covered by the warranty.
- Odometer Tampering: If you attempt to roll back the odometer of your car, which is much more common in old cars, you will render the car warranty useless.
What About a Car Accident?
In the majority of cases, if your car is able to be repaired, getting in an accident will not affect the status of the warranty. The only way that an accident would totally void your car warranty is if the vehicle is so damaged that it is given the title salvage distinction because damages would cost more to repair than market value. What would lower your market value?
- Fleet or rental use
- Make and model
- Transmission type (automatic or manual)
- Aftermarket or non-standard features
- Vehicle history (past repairs, other collisions, maintenance, etc.)
Protect Your Car Warranty with Maven Motors
Maven Motors auto body shop is dedicated to helping every customer find the car of their dreams, and keep the cars that they have in great shape. From auto sales to collision repair, we can meet all of your car buying and maintenance needs. We pride ourselves on honesty and integrity and always doing what is right for you. To learn more about our services, contact us today by calling (410) 358-1114 or visit our auto body shop.